Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February Update: More to Come

It's been a while so I figured it's time for a new update. I've had this one posted on my website for a while now but i thought I'd share it here to set up for a huge art dump I'll have coming soon.

This concept was spawned during one of the weekly sketchgroups I do with a bunch of friends of mine. Usually we just do our own thing and work on whatever, school projects, commissions, personal sketches, etc. But this week we all decided to work off a prompt and do a re-design of classic movie monsters. I chose to do the Mummy but made an effort to design outside of the typical Egyptian setting. So I thought of other cultures around the world that mummify their dead and landed on ancient Aztec/Mayan/Incan/Central-South Americas.

This was also a little experiment for me in painting with color directly rather than glazing over a value study. It's still very mono-chromatic but I feel like I learned a bit during the process.

Thanks for checking! Should have a new video tutorial and a host of new images to show soon enough!


4 comments:

  1. Diggin it! Like the adjustments you made, that spot color is workin like a champ also the Mayan lookin architectural designs are a nice touch. Still think that bottom foot could use some work, not feeling like its clinging to that branch just yet. Other than that Pro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I think I just up and forgot our conversation before I called it quits on this one :/ Will go back and re-touch to appease his holiness ;)

      Delete
  2. haha be sure that you do, else ill be sure to find something else to nitpick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dude, I like the other elements you incorporated into the comp. besides the figure. Direct painting... that's what I'm talking about. I like the solution for those blues you had too.


    fix that foot...

    ReplyDelete